209. The violation of physical law, and the consequence, human suffering, have so long prevailed that men and women look upon the present state of sickness, suffering, debility, and premature death as the appointed lot of humanity.
210. Many persons complain of Providence because of the discomfort and inconvenience which they suffer, when this is the sure result of their own course. They seem to feel that they are ill-treated of God, when they themselves are alone responsible for the ills which they endure.
211. Are these ills visited upon the race through God's providence? -- No; they exist because the people have gone contrary to his providence, and still continue rashly to disregard his laws.
212. The souls and bodies of people are fast becoming corrupted, a mass of disease. This would not have been the case if those who had claimed to believe the truth had lived out its sacred principles.
213. There is a divinely appointed connection between sin and disease. Sin and disease bear to each other the relationship of cause and effect.
214. The course professed Christians generally pursue in following fashion, irrespective of health and life, brings upon them a train of evils which they charge back upon Providence, and place arguments in the mouths of infidels wherewith to assail Christianity.
215. God is not responsible for the suffering which follows the non-conformity to natural law and moral obligations to him.
216. Sickness and premature death do not come without a cause.
217. When standing by the graves of their children, the afflicted parents look upon their bereavement as a special dispensation of Providence, when by inexcusable ignorance their own course has destroyed the lives of their children. To then charge their death to Providence is blasphemy.
218. They should not charge the result of their own sinful course upon our gracious and merciful Heavenly Father. He doth not willingly afflict or grieve the children of men.
219. Mothers are slow to learn that the suffering and death of their children is the result of their own course. They do not become intelligent upon the subject of how to live to prevent disease and premature death. What a thought! Mothers are the murderers of their own children and are mourning over their death, and are trying hard to be reconciled to Providence, which they think has bereaved them.
Inspired Healthful Living - Home